Minimally Invasive Surgery
Minimally invasive spine surgeries are alternatives to traditional open surgeries that offer less risk and more rapid recovery for the patient. The surgeries are designed to be completed quickly and to interfere as little as possible with the surrounding muscles in the operative area. By preserving the connecting ligaments and soft tissue structures there is a decreased chance of developing instability of the spine.
Types of Minimally Invasive Spinal Procedures
There are many minimally invasive procedures that can be performed to relieve spinal conditions. Types of minimally invasive surgery that Dr. Sinicropi provides include:
- Laminotomy (Lumbar and Cervical)
- Foraminotomy (Lumbar and Cervical)
- Minimally Invasive Stabilization (Lumbar)
Benefits of a Minimally Invasive Spine Procedure
There are numerous reasons why minimally invasive spinal surgery is a better alternative to traditional open back surgeries. Here are a few of the benefits:
- Shorter recovery period. Most minimally invasive procedures can be completed in less than one hour. After surgery, you can walk out of the hospital or surgery center generally within two to three hours.
- Minimal pain & blood loss. Minimally invasive surgery usually requires only a small incision to the back or neck to correct the condition. At the end of the procedure, incision will require a couple of stitches and that’s it. Post-op recovery pain is also significantly less with these procedures compared to traditional surgeries.
- Less chance for scarring & tissue damage. Traditional open back and neck surgeries require the surgeon to make a larger incision. Any time muscle or tissue is torn a scar is likely to form. But with minimally invasive surgeries only require a small incision. That means less scarring and less chance for tissue damage.
- Higher surgical accuracy & lower risk. By design, minimally invasive procedures allow more precise targeting of the affected area while not “disturbing” the surrounding structures.
Minneapolis Spinal Surgeon
If you are suffering from back, neck, leg or arm pain from a pinched nerve or herniated disc, minimally invasive surgery may be the right choice for you. Contact Dr. Sinicropi today to find out if you are a good candidate for minimally invasive surgery – 800.234.1826.