Category: Spine | Author: Stefano Sinicropi | Date: February 14, 2022
Valentine’s Day is here, and while you may be focused on showing the people you care about a little extra love today, make sure you also carve out a plan to show yourself a little more love this year. Specifically, we want you to be kind and show a little love to your spine, because it works hard day in and day out. But what’s the best way to show your spine a little extra love this Valentine’s Day? We share some tips in today’s blog.
How To Love Your Spine
If you want to go above and beyond for your spine this year, do some of the following things to show it some love on a regular basis.
- Exercise – Regardless of your personal feelings on exercise, it’s safe to say that your spine loves the physical challenge of exercise. It keeps spinal structures healthy, strengthens muscles that help to provide support, and it pushes healthy oxygenated blood to key areas, ensuring they get the nutrients they need to function properly. Resolve to get a little more exercise and activity, and your spine will be better off because of it.
- Avoiding Sweets and Fats – Conversely, you may love chocolate, ice cream or French fries, but your body and your spine doesn’t. Everything is fine in moderation, but if you consume too many fats and sugars, you may be creating a prime environment for inflammation and weight gain. Spinal inflammation can compress key nerves and spinal structures, and gaining weight means that your spine has to shoulder more pressure as you move. Eat a little healthier and mind your weight to show your spine some love this year.
- Hydrate – One of the simplest things you can do to help provide an ideal environment for your spine is to stay hydrated. Muscles can function more easily when you’re adequately hydrated, and you can help avoid problems like cramps or spasms. Make sure that water is your drink of choice and try to drink plenty of water throughout the day. An ideal number of ounces to strive for is to take your weight, cut it in half and drink that many ounces of water each day.
- Treat Problems – If your back starts to hurt, don’t just try to grit your teeth and get on with your day in the hopes that it will eventually get better. The best thing you can do for your back in this situation is to actively treat the problem. Figure out what’s going on and develop a treatment plan that is rooted in active treatments like physical therapy or exercise, not rest and medications. Ignoring problems can make pain worse and less receptive to treatment, so love your spine by taking care of it if a problem develops.
- Pamper It – Finally, don’t be afraid to pamper your back every once in a while. Book a deep tissue massage or head to the sauna to help spinal muscles relax. Pursue yoga or take a warm shower after a cold day out in the Minnesota weather. Find ways to help your back unwind from the stresses of the day so that it can be better prepared to take on the challenges of tomorrow.
And if you really want to show your spine some love, connect with a specialist like Dr. Sinicropi for individualized advice on how to best care for your back. For more information, contact his office today at (651) 430-3800.