Category: Back Pain | Author: Stefano Sinicropi
Nobody wants to spend an arm and a leg to take care of a health issue, but you also don’t want to pursue ineffective treatment options simply because the price is right. Ideally, you could find a low cost or a no cost treatment option that would help to effectively manage your spinal discomfort. In today’s blog, we spotlight 10 cheap treatment options for mild to moderate back pain.
Best Low Cost Back Pain Treatments
We can’t guarantee that the following treatment methods will all work, but most patients notice improvement in symptoms by pursuing one or more of the following options.
- Exercise – Exercise will strengthen your spine and the structures that support it, and while you can shell out a bunch of money for a gym membership, a personal trainer or home exercise equipment, oftentimes you can find plenty of free or low cost ways to exercise. Go for a walk, lace up your running shoes or swim laps at the community pool.
- Improve Your Diet – Look at some ways that you could work to improve your diet, and odds are your back and your grocery bill will thank you for it. Cut out unnecessary junk foods and soda, and limit how many meals you eat out. Eating right will help your spine get the nutrients it needs for healthy tissue development.
- Weight Loss – Losing weight will help to take some stress off your spine, and if you’re smart about the first two tips on this list, you may find that this point becomes a little bit easier. Again, you can pay money to make weight loss easier, but you certainly don’t have to.
- Physical Therapy – Targeted stretching and strengthening of your spinal muscles can work to alleviate a number of minor back issues, and oftentimes you can find helpful PT exercises on the web. You can also meet with a spine specialist or physical therapist and get set up with a home-based PT program.
- Ice/Heat – Hot and cold therapy can help manage fluid movement in and out of your spine, helping to bring healthy blood to structures or limit inflammation. Ice packs or a warm bath are some simple low-cost back pain treatment options.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medications – Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications can help alleviate discomfort caused by inflammation for a relatively cheap cost, but because they are passive in nature, they should not be your only treatment option.
- Orthotics – Wearing a comfortable and supportive shoe can protect more than just your feet. Supportive shoes also help to take stress off your spine. A generic or even custom shoe insert can be a low cost way to take some pressure off your back.
- Drink More Water – Drinking more water is another helpful complementary technique, especially if your muscles are fatigued or spasming. When you’re dehydrated, it’s harder for your muscles to get the oxygenated blood and essential nutrients they need to thrive. Staying hydrated helps your spinal muscles function optimally.
- Get More Sleep – We don’t want you to lay in bed all day if you have back pain, but at the same time, sleep is a restorative process that helps tissues heal and remove toxins from your bloodstream. Poor sleep can increase your sensitivity to pain, while healthy sleep can make sure your back and your whole body is ready to attack the day!
- Connect With Dr. Sinicropi – Setting up an appointment with Dr. Sinicropi is likely the most effective back pain treatment on this list. We know that it won’t be free, but we work to keep patient costs down and we will do everything in our power to provide an accurate diagnosis and set you up with an effective treatment plan. Instead of pursuing other treatments, sync up with a specialist who can help you find the right treatment.
For more information on any of these tips, or for help with a different spinal issue, reach out to Dr. Sinicropi and his team today at (651) 430-3800.