Category: Spine Surgery | Author: Stefano Sinicropi
Back surgery, whether it’s traditional or minimally invasive, will require a period of recovery that can involve pain and a decreased ability to do everyday tasks. Post surgery your body needs time to heal itself. But there are things you can do to assist your body in its natural healing process. Here are a few tips and tricks for recovering after spine surgery:
- Limit your mobility. Don’t overexert your body by running around your house doing chores. Set up a recovery area with all your essentials within easy reach or a short walk away. Keep some water, snacks, and any necessary pain meds close at hand so you can minimize the number of trips you have to take to the kitchen.
- Have a family member or friend on call. Depending on your procedure there may be certain activities that you just can’t do immediately after surgery. For these tasks it’s good to call up a close family member or friend and ask if they’d be willing to give you a hand while you recover.
- Have lots of good movies and books on hand. Lying around for hours can be terribly boring. Break up the static with a few favorite movies, TV shows, and books.
- Get a Cain, or Walker. This can seriously decrease your pain during the times you do have to get up and go to the bathroom or kitchen. Before you buy one, ask your family and friends if they have something from a previous procedure that you can use.
- Listen to your Doctor. Above all else, it is essential that you follow all of your doctor’s post-surgical instructions. They have your best interests in mind, and if you fail to follow their instructions, it will only delay recovery.
Recovery is part of every surgical procedure. Follow these simple five tips to make your post-op surgery recovery go as smoothly as possible.