Why You Shouldn’t Wait To Treat Back Pain
Category: Back Pain, Spine Pain | Author: Stefano Sinicropi | Date: October 24, 2022
We put off a lot of different things in our life. Maybe we stretch our car another 1,000 miles before that oil change or we wait until the last minute to do our homework. Oftentimes we’re not really worse off because of this procrastination, but sometimes putting off something that deserves our immediate attention can backfire spectacularly. Spine pain is one of those things. In today’s blog, we take a closer look at why it’s so important that you treat your spine pain in a timely manner instead of waiting to see a doctor.
Why Back Pain Can’t Wait
Back pain is incredibly common, but because of this, many people don’t take their spinal discomfort seriously. They either assume it will get better on its own or that it’s just something they’ll have to get used to as they get older, but this can lead to even more problems. Here’s a look at some of the reasons why you shouldn’t wait to actively treat your spine pain:
- Worsening Symptoms – If you keep doing the same things that led to your back pain in the first place, nothing is going to get better. You’re going to keep stressing the spine in ways that are causing problems, so not only will symptoms persist, they typically get worse. Left untreated, odds are your spine symptoms will only get worse.
- Treatment Effectiveness – While not as serious as cancer, back pain and cancer share similarities when it comes to treatment effectiveness. The sooner the condition is identified and treated, the higher the likelihood that treatment will be a success. The longer you put off treatment, the worse the condition tends to get, and that can make it harder to treat effectively.
- Treatment Invasiveness – Small spine problems can oftentimes be treated with simple lifestyle adjustments or conservative techniques like exercise, weight loss, posture improvements or physical therapy. Untreated problems can snowball to the point that your only effective treatment option is a surgical procedure.
- Costlier – Ignoring a problem in the short-term may not cost any money, but it’s going to cost a lot more down the road if the condition worsens and more invasive treatment is needed. Don’t set yourself up for major medical expenses later in life because you neglected to take care of a minor issue earlier on.
- Quality Of Life – Finally, you only get one body, so you need to do right by it and care for it appropriately. Your quality of life can suffer if you’re dealing with chronic or prolonged back pain that never healed correctly. If you continue to put off treatment, your quality of life will suffer until you take care of the problem. Consistent back pain is no way to go through life. Instead, get back to doing all the activities you love by treating your back pain sooner rather than later.
If you’d like to avoid some of the problems associated with waiting to treat your back pain, pick up the phone and reach out to Dr. Sinicropi and his team today at (651) 430-3800.